Indoor Pets and Indoor Air Quality
Estimates are that one out of every three homes have at least one pet living inside. Our pets are our family, but pets can create many problems with the air inside your home.
The hair often floats through the air clogging air filters and/ or the AC coil. The dander under the skin is oily and can go deeper into the AC coil than the hair also clogging the coil and the drain.
The biggest problem with the clogged drain is sometimes it leaks into areas that you do not know about. These small leaks can encourage mold growth, mold allergens, and poor indoor air quality. From the picture you can see how the coil became clogged due to the animal hair and dander.
One thing we see a lot is the clogged drain dripping over the drain pan area damaging the sheet rock. Because the mold is so close to the heating and air system, the fan pulls in the mold spores and spread them throughout the house by way of the air duct system.
In addition to mold and allergy problems, a dirty air coil requires more energy to cool your home, therefore higher energy bills.
If you have pets, you will need to clean your air coil more often.
Most people do not have annual contracts for maintaining their heating and air system. If you have indoor pets, it should be a priority to find a company that offers annual maintenance. It is important to make sure that the company hire includes a coil cleaning service in your contract. It is best to ask for a picture of your clean coil every year.
Other tips for Healthy Indoor Air Quality for Pet Owners:
- Make sure your pet is properly groomed regularly. Besides making your pet smell better, a good groomer reduces dander, oils, and excessive hair.
- Be sure to wash pet bedding regularly.
- Use a high quality air filter. Look for one that filters pet dander.
- Brush your pet regularly. Dogs with a long or thick coat should be brushed outdoors.
- Materials that attract pet hair and dander should be limited. Carpet is notorious for hiding dust, dander and other allergens. If it is not practical to remove your carpet, vacuum daily. Couches should be included in your vacuuming routine and curtains should be washed regularly as well.
Keeping your home clean is even more important when you have pets in the household.
Call Carolina Air Care/ Advanced Environmental Services today if you suspect you may have an Indoor Air Quality problem!